Why do children and adults have to fear dentists?
A doctor who is afraid of everyone without exception, regardless of age, is, of course, a dentist. A visit to it, as a rule, is postponed until the moment when the pain in the tooth can not be cured by any anesthetics. And then we take courage for a long time and yet we cross the threshold of this ill-fated cabinet.
But what is the reason for this behavior? We seem to be adults and we must understand that the doctor will not do us any harm, he will only help us get rid of this terrible toothache. But no, we are ready to do anything, just not to enter the dental office. But if adult people behave this way, then what to say about children?
They are more sensitive to pain. There is even a disease called dentofobia or dentofobia, which is characterized by panic fear of everything related to dental treatment. Why are we so afraid of dentists?
Causes of fear of the dentist:
- Fear of pain. As a rule, visits to the majority of doctors end painlessly. But a visit to the dentist is invariably associated with painful sensations. We know in advance that in the dental office we will necessarily be hurt. Therefore, we are afraid to cross his threshold.
- Bright childhood memories of painful dentistry. As a rule, the roots of all fears go away in childhood, and the fear of dentists is no exception. Children feel pain more. Therefore, the unpleasant, painful sensations received in the doctor's chair, remain in the memory for a long time, and, being adults, it is very difficult for us to get rid of this fear.
- Fear of dental instruments. Some people are horrified by the sound of the drill alone and its menacing appearance. To all this, you can still add an unpleasant burnt odor when drilling teeth, which can also be the cause of dislike for dentists.
- Violation of personal space. The mouth is a very sensitive part of the body with a lot of nerve endings. We are uncomfortable when someone climbs there, especially with different tools, albeit with good intentions. In addition, not everyone can boast of perfect teeth, and a visit to the dentist will necessarily reveal all the flaws. Many are ashamed that they do not follow the condition of their teeth at the proper level.
- Fear of medical error. There are many stories about how dentists can harm not only the teeth, but also the health of the person as a whole. Starting with an incorrectly torn tooth and ending with various horror films about drilled cheeks and pus, which can be formed due to poor-quality tooth treatment, and spread to the brain.
- Heredity. Spanish scientists found that fear of dentists is inherited, and more so on the maternal line.
What can I do to overcome this fear? After all, dental health is the guarantee of the health of the whole organism. Therefore it is very important not to be afraid in time to seek help from a doctor.
How to get rid of fear?
When combating any fear, the most important thing is to identify the cause of its occurrence. In case of fear of dentists, everything is clear. Therefore, you can proceed to the second point, namely to work on your behavior. Here are some tips that will help, if not get rid, then at least reduce the fear of the dentist.
- Choose clinic and doctor. A person always feels more at ease in a place that is familiar to him, and the dentist's office is no exception. Of course, when the tooth is very sore, the only desire is to go to the nearest clinic and quickly get rid of this pain. But this will further strengthen your fear. So when you do not have any pain, you need to find a clinic that will suit you in every way. Study all the reviews about the doctors who work there. After that, ask the clinic administrator to recommend a dentist, but specify that you are afraid to treat your teeth. Then, having decided with the doctor, go to him for a preventive examination. Observe how the dentist behaves, if you are comfortable in his presence, then the next time you have a toothache, you can without fear immediately seek help from an already familiar dentist.
- Study the existing methods of dentistry and medications. You will be much calmer if you know what the doctor is doing. You do not need to know all the nuances, you just have to be at least a bit guided by what kind of anesthesia methods are available now and what preparations are used for this, and what materials are used, for example, for sealing. In this case, you can monitor the work of the dentist. This will give you self-confidence, and you will not feel a victim sitting in the dental chair.
- Read the equipment. Modern dental equipment has long been moving forward, and now the drills are not working as loudly as before. In addition, tools are constantly being upgraded. Therefore, you will be less uncomfortable in the dentist's office.
- Moral tune in the treatment. When you are all aware of what awaits you outside the door of the office, it will be easier for you to tune in to a positive mood, and a good mood plays an important role in how you will perceive the treatment.
But if an adult can independently cope with his fears, then the child needs help from his parents for this. It depends on them how the baby will react to the dentist. First of all, you need to choose a clinic and a doctor who can find the relationship with the child. Then you should bring the child to a preventive checkup so that the first visit to the dentist is not associated with him with pain.
When the next time you and your baby come to treat your teeth, stay calm while sitting in front of the doctor's office. Do not be nervous, because the child feels everything, and your fear can be transmitted to him. Warn the child that he may be a little hurt, so for him it was not a surprise.
Say that a good doctor will cure him a sick tooth, and he will not be sick, but for this you need to wait a little. After the end of treatment, reward the child with something delicious or some kind of toy for bravery.
Beautiful, healthy smile decorates any person. For her, you can and need to overcome your fear of dentists.