How to cook delicious sauerkraut for the winter?
Many people like sauerkraut, especially if it is appetizing and crispy. Is it possible to cook such a snack at home? Easy!
What kind of cabbage to use for fermentation?
How to choose sauerkraut? Immediately it should be noted that not all varieties can be used. In addition, when buying should pay attention to the appearance of the head. So, the most important selection criteria:
- For fermentation use medium late or late cabbage varieties, for example, “Glory”.Young varieties differ friability and low sugar content. The best time to make such a snack is mid-end fall. It is in this cabbage of late varieties that ripen and acquire the necessary density.
- You should choose only well-ripened cabbage, it will have a sufficient amount of sugars.
- It is best to choose a bigger head. An impressive size will speak of sufficient maturity. But it should not be too big. Firstly, it will be inconvenient to cut a large cabbage, and secondly, it will probably be “flavored” with fertilizers that accelerate growth.
- It is best to use white cabbage for fermentation, although it is also suitable for red cabbage, but it will have a piquant little spicy taste.
- Choosing a head of cab, pay attention to the fact that it was covered with green outer leaves. If they are not there at all, then most likely the cabbage was frost-bitten, and an unscrupulous seller removed the leaves to hide this fact.
- Pay attention to cabbage stalk. It should be white, dense and free from damage.
- On the leaves there should not be any spots, patches, holes.
- Smell the cabbage. Her smell should be fresh, vegetable. If heading smells rot, choose another.
What utensils to use?
What is the best way to make sauerkraut? If you have a cellar or a cellar, it is best to sauer the cabbage in the barrel. So it will get a pleasant taste and aroma, it will crunch and preserve its properties for a long time. But in the apartment, of course, there is simply nowhere to put the barrels, so in this case it is best to make sour cabbage in the can.
It is also possible to use clay or enameled containers( but there should be no cracks or chips on the enamel).But aluminum and steel will not work. The fact is that the lactic acid, which will be released from the cabbage when fermented, will react with the metal, which, firstly, can cause the snack to get an unpleasant taste, and secondly, harmful substances can be formed.
How to cut?
Cut cabbage should be quite small, but not too much. If the pieces are too small, the cabbage will not be crispy, it will soften and turn into porridge. You can use a special shredder for cabbage, it will make grinding right and fast. The knife will do.
But the grater is not the best device for grinding. First, the cabbage will begin to allocate juice in advance, and secondly, the pieces will be too small. But still, if you are accustomed to using a grinder, then choose a large one and do not press hard on the piece during grinding.
By the way, shredding or cutting into strips is not the only option of grinding. You can cut the cabbage into squares, rectangles or triangles.
What ingredients are used to make sauerkraut? We list the main ones:
- Cabbage. This is the most basic ingredient.
- Carrots. First, it makes the cabbage more crispy, and second, it gives the snack a pleasant sweetish taste, and third, it makes the appearance of the dish more attractive. Carrots are usually rubbed on a large or medium float.
- Salt. Its quantity depends on your chosen recipe, as well as on your personal preferences. But usually 5 kg of cabbage uses 100 grams of salt. Salt can be used both coarse and finely ground. But iodized is not suitable, it can make cabbage slippery and not very tasty.
- Condiments and Spices. They will give the snack a savory taste and a pleasant aroma. You can use bay leaf, horseradish, cloves, dill seeds, black pepper. But do not overdo it with the addition of spices, otherwise they will drown out the natural cabbage taste.
- Some add sugar, it makes sauerkraut less acidic and more tender and pleasant to taste.
- Other Supplements. Some add berries and fruits, such as apples, plums, cranberries, lingonberries. Such ingredients give the snack a pleasant sour taste.
. Methods for fermentation.
. There are two main methods for fermentation of cabbage:
- Dry. In this case, additional liquid is not used. Cabbage is simply ground with salt and sour in its own juice that stands out as it is cooked.
- Wet. This method involves the use of brine, which is poured chopped cabbage.
It is very important to observe temperature condition. Usually at the initial stage of fermentation, room temperature is required, which allows you to start fermentation processes. Then the temperature is reduced to 0-2 degrees so that the cabbage does not sour and not disappear.
How to store?
If you brew cabbage for the winter, then store it in a cool place at a temperature not higher than 3-5 degrees Celsius. But you should not freeze the snack, after defrosting it will become soft and tasteless.
How to cook?
How to cook delicious sauerkraut? We offer you simple proven recipes.
The first recipe
- 5 kg of cabbage;
- 100 grams of salt;
- 4 large carrots.
- Wash and dry the cabbage, then chop.
- Rinse the carrots and rub on a medium grater.
- Take a piece of cabbage, mix it with a portion of salt and remember everything with your hands, then add the carrots and mix everything again. Place the portion on the bottom of the enamel pot. In the same way, in parts, prepare and lay the rest of the cabbage.
- Now tamp the cabbage into the container, cover it with a plate and put the oppression on top. To release gases, you can stick a wooden rolling pin or some kind of tube into the cabbage.
- Cabbage should be sour for about 3 days at room temperature.
- Stir the cabbage several times a day and pierce it with a knife to let the gases escape.
- Now you can put the snack in the jar and put it in the fridge.
Recipe for the second
This is a quick sauerkraut. For cooking you will need:
- 1 kg of cabbage;
- 10 tablespoons of 9% vinegar;
- 3 carrots;
- 3 garlic cloves;
- 1-2 tablespoons of coarse salt;
- 1/2 cup sugar;
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil;
- 500 ml of water.
- Wash and chop the cabbage. Wash carrots and rub on a large grater. Peel and chop the garlic with a garlic press or grater. Mix all chopped vegetables in a bowl.
- Pour water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add salt, sugar, vinegar and vegetable oil. Mix everything up and turn off the fire in a minute.
- Pour the vegetables in the brine.
- Cover the cabbage with a plate, put the oppression on top.
- Leave the cabbage to boil at room temperature overnight( or at least for a few hours).Is done.
The third recipe
To make crispy cabbage in brine, prepare:
- 1 large head of cabbage;
- 2 carrots;
- 3 liters of water;
- 1/3 cup grams of salt;
- 3 tablespoons of sugar;
- black pepper and bay leaf to taste.
- Chop the cabbage, rub the carrots on a grater.
- Stir vegetables with seasonings.
- Prepare the pickle. Dissolve sugar and salt in water. Fill the cabbage with this liquid, cover it with a plate( put the oppression on top) and leave for three days. Stir in the cabbage periodically and pierce with a fork or knife.
A few tips to help prepare sauerkraut correctly:
- Remove the foam that will form on the surface of the cabbage during the fermentation process.
- Do not wrinkle the cabbage strongly so that it is crispy.
- You can add a little berry or fruit juice to your pickle.