How to choose a good cooker hood?
Hoods have appeared in the world for quite some time. The Americans appreciated them first. But then the residents of other countries also realized that such a device is not only useful, but sometimes even necessary. But it's important to choose a hood that suits your kitchen and will run smoothly. And how to do it?
Is it difficult to make a choice?
Some, in general, think that there are no fundamental differences presented in the stores models do not have. It used to be that way before. But modern devices have the most diverse characteristics, features and functions. Some 10 years ago they could not even think about them, but today all this is available.
In addition, the amount of air polluted during cooking can be different, this should also be taken into account when selecting. And, finally, the hood is part of the interior of the kitchen, so it should fit into the design of this room, and not spoil it. That's why you need to take this responsibility carefully and carefully.
How does it work?
In general, the main task of drawing is the removal of steam, soot and polluted air from the kitchen, which are formed during cooking. But it is provided in different ways.
Types of hoods depending on the operating principle:
- The flow-through hoods work in such a way that steam and other air pollution are discharged outside( ie into the street) through the blower. But particles of grease and sludge can settle on the blower. And to avoid this, some manufacturers equip their devices with special metal filters for rough cleaning. If there is no such filter, then the hood must be periodically washed by hand. In this case, the productivity of the device,( it is expressed in the amount of polluted air that the hood can eliminate) will not fall. By the way, it is the large capacity that is the main advantage of the hoods of this type. And even such devices have the ability not only to remove from the air all the bad, but also to ensure its circulation( that is, updating and feeding new and fresh from the street).But such hoods are difficult to install, they can be installed only in the immediate vicinity of ventilation ducts or openings. At the same time, ventilation must always be new and clean. And one more drawback is that the flow-through hood can work fully only with access to oxygen, that is, with an open window( and in a frost it's quite unpleasant and problematic).
- Circulation hoods have a different operating principle. They draw in polluted air, run it through a cleaning system and have it cleaned up again. Similar devices also have coarse filters that remove soot, carbon, grease and other particles. But there are also fine carbon filters, which can also remove small particles, such as dust. Unpleasant smells are also neutralized. But the carbon filters assume some resistance, which negatively affects the power of the device, because of which the performance falls. In addition, such filters are not subject to cleaning, they must necessarily be changed. Some instruments have special indicators that will tell you when it will be necessary to make a replacement. The price of such an extract will be much lower than the flow rate, and the installation is more simple and not as laborious.
How to choose a good cooker hood so that it fits into space and does not take up much space? It is necessary to take into account the structure of this device.
According to the configuration, the hoods are also divided into several types:
- Flat( hanging hoods) - this is the simplest option. No additional modules or parts are required, the hood is placed above the stove, and above it you can safely hang the locker, for example. It is quite convenient and practical, especially in a small kitchen.
- The built-in hood is usually placed in the cabinet, in the bottom of which there is an air intake. The lower block can have a retractable structure that will completely cover the whole plate and the surrounding space. There can be a free space above the hood unit, for example, for a shelf or a box, but not so much.
- Dome hoods offer a variety of options. Such a device is usually a decorative single unit, which can be made in the form of a cone, a pyramid, an inverted T or an umbrella with a pipe. Such devices assume a great variety of design solutions and can act as a separate full part of the kitchen interior. The dome hood of the fireplace type is mounted on the wall above the stove( straight or at an angle).But the island type devices are attached to the ceiling.
- Also today in stores you can find hoods like "Domino".They are built into the kitchen table or countertop next to the stove, and not over it, as is done most often.
Interior of the kitchen
When buying a hood, it is important to take into account the design of the kitchen, as this device is quite voluminous and certainly catches the eye when inspecting the room. And that the hood complement the interior, it must be done in the same style. For example, the classic kitchen will perfectly fit the hood with wooden inserts. And in the dining room in the style of high-tech will look great metal device with glass details.
To ensure that all the dirty air is fully drawn, it is necessary that the hood match the size of the hob. Otherwise, the garbage will go to other rooms, and not be captured by an air intake( it just will not reach it).So measure the plate, and only then go to the store.
As already mentioned above, the output of a hood is called the volume of air to be cleaned. How to determine this indicator? Take into account that in an hour, provided cooking in the kitchen, the air should be renewed about 10-12 times. So you can use a simple formula.
Calculate the volume of the room. To do this, you need to multiply its height by the width, and then by the length. The resulting number multiplied by 10. You get the approximate necessary( or sufficient) performance.
But consider the intensity of air pollution. For example, if you cook infrequently and not very long, then the optimal performance in this case will be 200-300 cubic meters per hour. But if you cook a lot and almost constantly, or someone often smokes in the kitchen, then it is better to choose a model with a capacity of about 1000 cubic meters per hour.
The more efficient the hood, the more noise it produces. But some manufacturers try to fix it with the help of additional details. The optimal values for the apartment are 30-45 decibels. And at 50 there may already be inconvenience.
Various models can have different modes and functions. So, some models have several levels of operation( switching from one to another can be done mechanically or electronically).
Here are some possible additional functions:
- Quick cleaning. Sensors for air purity.
- The residual fan stroke for full cleaning.
- Automatic mode change.
- Digital timer.
- Continuous noiseless operation or interval switching.
The price of such a device, depending on performance, design, manufacturer and functionality, can vary from 4 to 20 thousand rubles or more.
Make a deliberate purchase to make it successful!