What is oleic acid?
For sure everyone has heard about fatty acids and even about their benefits. But there are so many of them that you can just get confused in the names. Meanwhile, there are those that the human body needs. These include oleic acid.
What is it?
Oleic acid is considered to be monounsaturated and refers to omega-9 fatty acids. It is necessary for the normal functioning of the body, so it must always be present in it. It should be noted that oleic acid is replaceable, that is, it is synthesized( for its production, the liver responds).
But still enter the body with food such a component should, so that in the diet must be present foods rich in it. Externally, the acid looks like a practically colorless oily liquid that does not smell and dissolves in organic solvents.
Oleic acid has a fairly wide application, not only in nutrition, but also in many industrial branches. For example, it is added to detergents, used to make perfumes and cosmetics, as well as paint and varnish materials.
In addition, this substance is used in factories for processing various alloys. Oleic acid is also used in pharmaceuticals: it is added to local wound-healing agents. In addition, this substance is a fairly common food additive( E570), used for preservation and roasting of products.
How to get it?
What is oleic acid? First of all, in vegetable oils, for example, in peach, apricot, pistachio, sunflower, sesame, palm, pumpkin, corn, olive and some others. Also a fairly large amount of the substance can be found in animal fats, especially beef and pork. In addition, oleic acid is also found in the fats of some varieties of fish, such as cod.
By the way, when heat treated, oleic acid loses some of its properties, so it's best to get it from oils, and necessarily cold pressed. And it is desirable to use them for salads, not for frying.
The main useful properties of oleic acid:
- It helps to control the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood, and also prevents its deposition on the walls of the vessels. And this means that this substance can be called an excellent means of preventing atherosclerosis.
- In the decay of oleic acid, energy is generated that is necessary for the normal operation of all body systems.
- This component helps to reduce insulin resistance, that is, in fact, prevents the development of diabetes mellitus.
- Oleic acid takes an active part in the construction and restoration of cell membranes, that is, not only protects tissues from damage, but also contributes to their regeneration.
- This amazing substance protects the body from the effects of free radicals, which not only trigger and accelerate the processes of premature aging of all tissues, but also can provoke the degeneration of healthy cells and the development of cancer.
- Oleic acid helps to strengthen vascular walls, lowers blood pressure, and prevents the formation of blood clots, that is, protects against a number of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- This component is necessary for strengthening immunity and protecting the body from attacks of bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Oleic acid has an anti-inflammatory effect and significantly accelerates the healing process in certain diseases.
- This substance helps to increase the elasticity of the skin, as well as to strengthen nails, hair and bone tissue.
- Oleic acid improves the transmission of nerve impulses and thereby normalizes the work of virtually all organs and tissues.
- It should be noted that fats of this acid are digested much better than some others, and are consumed for energy. And so such a component in some way can help control body weight or even reduce it.
Take oleic acid additionally as an additive is not, and even to meet such supplements on sale is quite difficult. It is enough simply to include in your diet foods rich in such a substance. And in order to get it properly and fully, you need to follow some rules. Thus, it is desirable that the share of vegetable products containing the corresponding fats accounted for about 30%.
And the share of animal fats in this case should account for about 60-70%.In this case, the products will contain about 40% oleic acid from the total volume of all fatty acids. This is how you can ensure that the necessary quantity of such an important and necessary component is received.
Be Healthy! And oleic acid will help you in this.