Why does the child constantly creak with his teeth in a dream?
Scratch teeth in a dream, many consider a sign that the body has parasites, in particular worms. And how are things really in fact? Why can a child grind his teeth? And what to do with it?
The essence of the problem
The grinding of teeth in a dream or, in medical terms, bruxism occurs in about 15-20% of children. And most often such a sign manifests itself at the age of two to three years, and by seven years the situation, as a rule, is normalized.
But for some, it grinds up later, namely in adolescence, during a period of active growth. In addition, bruxism is more common in boys than in girls.
Why does the child creak in a dream? It is sometimes impossible to establish the causes of creaking even for experienced doctors. However, the following factors may trigger such an unpleasant symptom:
- Diseases of the nasopharynx or upper respiratory tract, such as adenoiditis, sinusitis, polyps in the nose, rhinitis. With them, there is usually a lot of discomfort, lack of air, and because of such manifestations can be observed creaking. In some cases, as medical practice shows, bruxism really disappeared without a trace after the removal of adenoids.
- Digestive problems. Some doctors believe that when throwing gastric juice into the esophagus, partially into the pharynx and even into the oral cavity( this is often the case with gastroesophageal reflux), the child may experience severe discomfort and because of it gnash his teeth.
- Spasm of muscles. It can occur with various diseases of the muscle tissue or nervous system, for example, with epilepsy. And since the jaw is also controlled by the muscles, then with their unconscious contractions, the teeth can strongly rub against each other.
- Lack of some nutrients. With a lack of certain vitamins and trace elements( such as magnesium, B vitamins, potassium), there is a so-called convulsive readiness of the muscles, that is, they are almost constantly tense, which can lead to jitters in sleep, convulsions, grinding of teeth and other symptoms.
- Problems with sleeping. Often bruxism occurs in children prone to sleepwalking, frequent nightmares, malfunctions in the alternation of phases of sleep.
- Stressful situations. The baby's nervous system is not formed to the end, so that any impact can somewhat disrupt its functioning and lead to a number of neurological symptoms.
- Often bruxism begins in the period of teething, and this is understandable. Firstly, many children experience severe discomfort, because the gums are very itchy, sometimes they ache. In addition, teeth are something new for crumbs, so he begins to actively explore them, including in a dream.
- Incorrect bite. If the teeth grow incorrectly, they can come into contact with each other, interfere with the normal chewing or even close the jaw. Gnashing in a dream can be a consequence of severe discomfort or a unique response of the body to such a problem: it will try to get back to normal, gradually grinding your teeth( this opinion is found among physicians).
- There is also a hereditary factor. So if one of the parents in the childhood or during the teenage years during a dream gnashed his teeth, then the child can also face bruxism.
- Adolescence. At this stage there are jumps in growth, strong changes in the work of the child's organism. First, all parts of his body actively grow, including the jaw and teeth. And this can lead to grinding. Secondly, adolescents often experience hormonal changes, and hormones can have the most direct effect on the nervous system, which can also trigger the appearance of bruxism.
As for worms, as a rule, their presence does not cause grinding.
Than it is dangerous?
If you do not think that grinding your teeth in a dream can be a manifestation of some disease, including a dangerous one, you can conclude that such a sign is not dangerous. But in fact, this is not so.
If dairy baby teeth will constantly rub against each other, then their enamel will become very thin, on it cracks will form through which bacteria will easily penetrate. And this, in turn, can lead to the development of caries.
In addition, bruxism can affect the psychological state and development of the child. If the grinding sound is quite loud, then it can interfere with sleeping, not giving a deep sleep. As a result, the baby will not be able to sleep normally, will experience learning difficulties.
What should I do if a child grinds in a dream with his teeth? It is worth considering a specific situation and trying to find the causes of bruxism. But often the doctors give the parents the following recommendations:
- Let's load the jaw. It may seem strange, but if the baby will strain his jaw during the day, then at night he can relax. You can give some solid food, for example, bagels, cabbage, carrots, apples, nuts and so on.
- Try to normalize the psychological state. In the afternoon, relax crumbs, at this time of day do not plan any moving games. Also, make sure that the child has the opportunity to spit out emotions during the day. And if he is constantly or often in an agitated state, then talk to the pediatrician about the appointment of a mild sedative. In addition, do everything to ensure that the situation in the family was calm. Do not scold the crumb, give it your best.
- To protect your teeth from erasure, contact your dentist and ask them to make a special protective elastic cap. Such a device can remain almost invisible to the child, but retain the enamel.
- Pay attention to the bite of the baby. If it is wrong, then you should contact the orthodontist to take corrective measures. Children can be assigned special removable plates, and at an older age, in the presence of all molars, a specialist can advise the braces system.
- If your teeth are chopped, you can use special anesthetic ointments, and also speed up the process with the help of teethers or, for example, ordinary drying, which the baby will gladly gnaw.
- It is advisable to carefully examine the baby in order to identify and cure diseases, one of the signs of which may be bruxism.
- A pediatrician can advise a vitamin complex that will eliminate the deficiency of nutrients and normalize the work of all important systems of the child's body.
- The nutrition of the child should be correct and rational, so that all the necessary micro- and macro-elements, minerals and vitamins come to his organism.
Health and sweet dreams to all babies!